wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1917

Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses Empty
PostSubject: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 18th 2013, 09:13

Now that it looks like the Packers are Aaron Rodgers and 52 "others" (slight exaggeration on my part) what do you guys feel we should be drafting in 2014 from top to bottom based on our current strengths and weaknesses?  Let's assume we are the 15th pick in all seven rounds.

Currently, a pass rushing end, shut down corner (if either exists), linebackers looks to be high on the list.  Are we looking at another "Denver Draft"?  Overall, I do hope that the Pack continue to go after big, physical players as they tended to for this year's roster.  Of course, I never have an objection to adding big boys to both sides of the line and maybe another wideout with SPEED that can handle the kickoff and punt return duties which has been awfully weak since Cobb has relinquished the duty.

OK, you guys ready to tackle this assignment? Twisted Evil

Last edited by Ed Hochuli #85 on November 18th 2013, 13:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 18th 2013, 09:27

I hate to say defense, defense, defense again, but well, the fucking D is killing them. I;d alsoi like ot see somethig nmore than a developmental QB in the mix too.

Haywars was so promising last year and may be again, but he has been nothing all year due to injuries, but you can NEVER have enough coverage players in the defensive backfield. Safety is also a glaring weakness and lord know pressure on the QB from anyone other than Clay seems to happen with any consistency.

I am at the poin twhere I wonder is it talent or scheme or coaching? Ugh!
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 18th 2013, 13:50

Why So Serious? wrote:
I hate to say defense, defense, defense again, but well, the fucking D is killing them.  I;d alsoi like ot see somethig nmore than a developmental QB in the mix too.

Haywars was so promising last year and may be again, but he has been nothing all year due to injuries, but you can NEVER have enough coverage players in the defensive backfield.  Safety is also a glaring weakness and lord know pressure on the QB from anyone other than Clay seems to happen with any consistency.

I am at the poin twhere I wonder is it talent or scheme or coaching?  Ugh!

Great question. Is it talent? Perhaps. We haven't had anyone really step up since the 2010 team. Back then we had Jenkins for the pass rush, Woodson for the shut down corner or big time playmaker who came up to the line, or Nick Collins at safety. All three guys are long gone. The scheme looks good with these guys.

I think the real question is regarding the talent level. Is the Pack's D weak because we are annual playoff contenders who miss out on the studs high in the draft or do we have coaches who can't "coach up" our existing talent? TT is still looking for a premier pass rusher; he's still looking for a competent safety; and he's still looking for a stud corner. I think the Pack still have too many holes in the D. Free agency would be nice, but doubtful. Anymore CW's around??

The scheme might be old as well. Capers has a track record where his D has rapid improvement in the first couple of years with a new team, then fades over time. Do opposing teams have him figured out once they know the talent? However, if you get pressure any defense looks great.

In summary, I guess we tank this season to get a high draft pick, do a "Denver Draft" and our problems are solved, right? scratch 
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 19th 2013, 07:53

I cannot go there, never could even when we stunk, yes I remember those yearrs all too well.

At this point I am not ready to assign blame, but think back to just last season Hayward looked like the secomd coming, McMillan showed flashed, Burnett was playing very well, now fast fora3wrd to this year and none of those things along with several other just is not happening. What changed? Surely those flashes of talent are still there, I mean talent like that doesn't fade at that age. Were we misled by our own eyes? Collectively? Seem sunlikely to me, but I just don't know.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 19th 2013, 08:39

I think our defense usually rises and falls with the play of Aaron Rodgers. By that I mean, when ARod is lighting up the scoreboards, the opposition is forced to play catchup which makes them one dimensional. Once the team abandons the running game, the Pack's D can tee off with a rush and the secondary can ball hawk. The defensive picks have been missing this year however.

Now that ARod is out, the defense needs to perform and has failed. Our best defense this weekend will be Adrian Peterson performing at 60% healthwise! After watching MNF last night, I was very envious of the Panther defense -- pretty damn impressive. Their D has swagger and our D has desperation. Maybe the D lacks confidence, who knows.

I think overall TT needs to find at least one impact player on the D in this year's draft because it's doubtful there's one in FA at TT's price point. Could this be the year of the trade-up to find the stud?

Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 20th 2013, 21:41

All of that is so accurate Ed. Unfortunately when we NEED to have the D stepping up they aren't able to and we have been in that situation for the past three weeks. Very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 20th 2013, 22:15

Why So Serious? wrote:
All of that is so accurate Ed.  Unfortunately when we NEED to have the D stepping up they aren't able to and we have been in that situation for the past three weeks.  Very frustrating.
Perhaps we can have Kevin Greene come out of retirement and play. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 21st 2013, 08:07

He may not physically be able to do it, but damn could that defense use some of the intensity he played with on every down.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyNovember 21st 2013, 10:45

While we are on the Pack's strengths and weaknesses, what's your assessment of Raji turning down an $8mil / year contract? With the CBA not as generous in terms of the salary cap I would think that the money he wants won't be there and it's not like Raji has really stepped up since his good year in 2010. Also taking into consideration that ARod and Matthews will be getting a significant bump in their salary next season as well on a tight NFL cap.

ALL Forum members please chime in! Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyDecember 16th 2013, 10:37

Ed Hochuli #85 wrote:
While we are on the Pack's strengths and weaknesses, what's your assessment of Raji turning down an $8mil / year contract?  With the CBA not as generous in terms of the salary cap I would think that the money he wants won't be there and it's not like Raji has really stepped up since his good year in 2010.  Also taking into consideration that ARod and Matthews will be getting a significant bump in their salary next season as well on a tight NFL cap.  

ALL Forum members please chime in! Twisted Evil 

crickets?  Razz 

Seeing that Raji has been invisible this year and based on the meager CBA salary cap raise of 3%, will Raji even find anyone who would pay him $8mil? It seems he could be in for a restructured contract. The big thing in his favor is the dearth of defensive linemen and the great need for them. Reluctantly, TT will probably have to pay.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses EmptyDecember 31st 2013, 13:17

One has to believe that Raji is out unless he takes a deeple incentive laden contract. Louis Nix is looking better and better.

Also, Safety has become a glaring need so we have to invest a high draft pick in one this year, but there is only one sure first rfoirst round safety, Ha Ha from Bama, but there are several good looking second round prospects. One has to believe we are going to do that, we damned well should.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses   Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses Empty

Back to top Go down

Draft Needs - based on strengths and weaknesses
Page 1 of 1