wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Draft prospect - first week in april

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

Number of posts : 1614

Draft prospect - first week in april Empty
PostSubject: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 3rd 2013, 08:34

Does anyone have any thoughts on JJ WILCOX out of Georgia Southern? I'm not sure where he's going in the draft, but he looks like a good third day prospect to me as a Safety.

Apparently he had a pretty good week at the Senior bowl. He looks like a pretty good player against the run, but like McMillian out of Maine last year, he's going to need some time as a pass defender. Small school kid who could pay dividends for a club with good coaching willing to be patient for a year or so.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 3rd 2013, 08:39

Iowa is a school known for it's Offensive linemen. But I think they also send a lot of DB players to the NFL as well and most of them seem to play there draft position.

MICAH HYDE, CB, IOWA has caught my eye as another third day prospect. Some scouting reports have him as a CB and others list him as a Safety.

The guy will never be compared athletically to T Williams and his speed is suspect, but he’s supposed to be a good FOOTBALL player.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 3rd 2013, 08:53

If Thompson was willing to invest a 4th into Quarless, then you have to wonder if he hasen't looked at MONTORI HUGHES of Tennessee- Martin.

This is another guy who apparently had a decent Senior bowl. However he was dismissed from Tennessee after two years by the coaching staff. He got into trouble multiple times and apparently lied to the coaching staff when called on the carpet.

I liked him as a prospect when I started looking at him, but kinda soured on him after reading about his off the field problems.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

Number of posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 3rd 2013, 23:46

JJ Wilcox would be a good pickup in the 3rd if we don't take a safety earlier. I liked him at the Senior Bowl.

I have to do some research on Hyde. I don't remember him from the few Iowa games I saw this year.

No way with Hughes. Quarless had his problems but he didn't get kicked out of school. That's really hard to do if you are good player at a football factory, even an unsuccessful one. Brandon Williams was a more impressive small school guy at the Senior Bowl and is a good kid. He is on my list for the 2nd round.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 09:14

Wilcox in the third round? The senior bowl really helped him out. I didn’t think he’d get any action until the fourth.

Hughes is a talented guy, but the more I’ve read, the tougher it is to like him. He lied to the coaches after he got into a dorm room scuffle and has a reputation for being difficult to coach – talks back to the coaches during practice.

Quarless should have been kicked out of PSU.

I'm not knocking him- in fact that's a guy I have a lot of respect for on the team. He's turned his life around and appears to conduct himself like a pro. It would be a great story if he can come back from that knee injury and have a productive career.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 09:25

Allright – Jennings and Crabtree are gone, Quarless is an unknown with his knee injury and Finley is in the last year of his contract.

Today, I’m thinking it’s a no-brainer that the Packers take a WR or a TE in the first three rounds.

WSS and I have mentioned ROBERT WOODS of Usc. Denver has mentioned RYAN SWOOPE of Texas A&M. I like both of these guys.

Lately, AARON DOBSON of Marshall has also caught my eye as a second round pick. He had a strong showing in the Senior bowl and is another good route runner. I’m thinking he’d be productive in McCarthy’s offense.

I’m kinda luke warm on MARKUS WHEATON of Oregon state at the moment. The kid is not very big, but is supposed to have a knack for making big plays. Another good route runner. Any thoughts on MARKUS?
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 09:35

For TE’s, VANCE MCDONALD of Rice had a strong showing at the Senior bowl. I don’t know where he is going to go in the draft, but I can see him having success in the Packer offense.

TRAVIS KELCE of Cincinnati has talent, but was also kicked off the team for the 2010 season.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 11:08

Wilcox in the third? One year at the postion, inexperienced in coverage. good athlete though. Ted ALWAYS has a small school guy in his mind so it is entirely possible he goes anywhere from 2nd-4th. Personally I prefer Shamarko Thomas who floored me at the combine and is faster though shorter which will ultimately probably hurt his selection.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 11:09

Jack Vainisi wrote:
For TE’s, VANCE MCDONALD of Rice had a strong showing at the Senior bowl. I don’t know where he is going to go in the draft, but I can see him having success in the Packer offense.

TRAVIS KELCE of Cincinnati has talent, but was also kicked off the team for the 2010 season.

Yours truly has been pimping this guy throughout the process, I love him and think he woudl be a great addition to the Packers.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 11:15

Jack Vainisi wrote:
Allright – Jennings and Crabtree are gone, Quarless is an unknown with his knee injury and Finley is in the last year of his contract.

Today, I’m thinking it’s a no-brainer that the Packers take a WR or a TE in the first three rounds.

WSS and I have mentioned ROBERT WOODS of Usc. Denver has mentioned RYAN SWOOPE of Texas A&M. I like both of these guys.

Lately, AARON DOBSON of Marshall has also caught my eye as a second round pick. He had a strong showing in the Senior bowl and is another good route runner. I’m thinking he’d be productive in McCarthy’s offense.

I’m kinda luke warm on MARKUS WHEATON of Oregon state at the moment. The kid is not very big, but is supposed to have a knack for making big plays. Another good route runner. Any thoughts on MARKUS?

Robert Woods is a guy I've also been on for the Packers, probably not a first rounder, but no way will he be there when the packers pick in the 2nd so they would have to move up to get him or trade out of the first and pick up an extra second to do it. I hope they do. I'm not as h igh on Swope as others are though. Same for Wheaton. Dobson is more likely a 3rd/4th rounder than 2nd, but that's just my read. If we are goign to burn a pick at that point on a WR I'd rather it be a guy that can bring other things to the table as well like say Denard Robinson or Connor Vernon who is perfecdt for any of the underneath stuff.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 11:15

BTW Jack, love how you're interest in the draft is way up this year. Love it!

Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 11:18

As for Hyde, he might be worth a lste pick, 6th or 7th round, he is not particularly gifted, but doesn't do anything poorly either. Not fast, not big, not small either at 6'0" 197, just a good player in college who might be able to help on special teams and provide some depth at the CB spot. At least as good as his more heralded teammate Shaun Prater.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 12:22

Why So Serious? wrote:
Jack Vainisi wrote:

Yours truly has been pimping this guy throughout the process, I love him and think he woudl be a great addition to the Packers.

I forgot you were a McDonald fan. In all honest, we're working so many different threads on the draft this year, it's hard to remember who's pimping who.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 12:24

Why So Serious? wrote:

I'm forced to write more, because everyone else seems to writing less. If we don't contribute, Lutzz just quits posting. The (expletive deleted)* just seems to sit in his 'comfortable chair' instead of writing - Instead of doing 90% of the draft writing like he should.

Until the last week, I've been really fucking lazy doing my draft homework.

* Not intended as a racial slur. However, feel free to use your imagination.

Last edited by Jack Vainisi on April 4th 2013, 12:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 12:26

Why So Serious? wrote:
As for Hyde, he might be worth a lste pick, 6th or 7th round, he is not particularly gifted, but doesn't do anything poorly either. Not fast, not big, not small either at 6'0" 197, just a good player in college who might be able to help on special teams and provide some depth at the CB spot. At least as good as his more heralded teammate Shaun Prater.

I always seem to pump up the Iowa players. I like how he runs the program and it seems like the best players from SD always seem to end up there. It's a bias. Hyde is probably a career backup.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 12:57

Ferents always has OL that play well, I think the biggest detriment to Iowa linemen, and it sounds stupifd when I sday it, they are so well coached. What I mean is, they have reached their peak in college because of their excellent coaching that when they get to the NFL they are already as good as they are going to be whereas most guys come in with boat loads of improvement coming.

Hyde is likely a Dime CB at most, but teams need dimes CB's so he has a chance to stick where ever he ends up going.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 12:58

Jack Vainisi wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

I'm forced to write more, because everyone else seems to writing less. If we don't contribute, Lutzz just quits posting. The (expletive deleted)* just seems to sit in his 'comfortable chair' instead of writing - Instead of doing 90% of the draft writing like he should.

Until the last week, I've been really fucking lazy doing my draft homework.

* Not intended as a racial slur. However, feel free to use your imagination.

I've admittedly been slacking this year too, probably just a product of my environment.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 13:15

Why So Serious? wrote:
Ferents always has OL that play well, I think the biggest detriment to Iowa linemen, and it sounds stupifd when I sday it, they are so well coached. What I mean is, they have reached their peak in college because of their excellent coaching that when they get to the NFL they are already as good as they are going to be whereas most guys come in with boat loads of improvement coming.

Hyde is likely a Dime CB at most, but teams need dimes CB's so he has a chance to stick where ever he ends up going.

Somewhere on the net I found an article which stated he's sent more DB's then OL'men to the NFL. I'm not sure that's true without doing a headcount, but I found that interesting. If I was a GM, I'd keep that fact in mind towards the later rounds of the draft if the prospects I was considering had similar grades.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 13:25

Absolutely, and I suspect they do which is why you have so many guys from Iowa being drafted each year. It isn't talent alone that I cna say for certain. Some schools just have that reputation, real or perceived though in Iowa's case I believe it is real.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 16:50

Why So Serious? wrote:
Jack Vainisi wrote:

Robert Woods is a guy I've also been on for the Packers, probably not a first rounder, but no way will he be there when the packers pick in the 2nd so they would have to move up to get him or trade out of the first and pick up an extra second to do it. I hope they do. I'm not as h igh on Swope as others are though. Same for Wheaton. Dobson is more likely a 3rd/4th rounder than 2nd, but that's just my read. If we are goign to burn a pick at that point on a WR I'd rather it be a guy that can bring other things to the table as well like say Denard Robinson or Connor Vernon who is perfecdt for any of the underneath stuff.

You are probably right about Woods, though I thought the same with Cobb and he made it to us in the 2nd. I mentioned 2 guys I liked at the Senior Bowl, Patton, who reminds my of Greg Jennings but with a thicker build and Harper who reminds me of James Jones. I like Patton in the 2nd and Harper in the 3rd but I think TT might be looking for a receiver who can return kicks now that they want Cobb as a full time receiver.

I think I would prefer if TT waits until the 4th to pick an offensive skill position guy. I would like to see defense and maybe OL first.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 17:05

Why So Serious? wrote:
Wilcox in the third? One year at the postion, inexperienced in coverage. good athlete though. Ted ALWAYS has a small school guy in his mind so it is entirely possible he goes anywhere from 2nd-4th. Personally I prefer Shamarko Thomas who floored me at the combine and is faster though shorter which will ultimately probably hurt his selection.

I think Kiper is way past his sell by date, but FTR today he gave us Wilcox in the 2nd. My problem with Wilcox is not the fact he is a one year starter but that he has short arms, which is a real disadvantage in a TE centric league. I have the same problem with Shamarko Thomas and Matt Elam. Are they tall enough to cover tall TEs? Thomas does have a 40 inch vertical jump but he is 5'9" with 31/5 inch arms. I really like Eric Reid's build. He's over 6'1", long arms and a 40 inch vertical. He had a down junior year and probably has a high second round value but I could see TT taking him in the first.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 4th 2013, 23:49

Eric Reid is MY type of safety – but that’s not always the best overall fit for the Packers. The guy loves to hit and his intensity might rival Clay Matthews. The Packers were questioned defensively for toughness in 2012 and I’m thinking Reid (along with Bishop’s return) would go a long way towards fixing that problem.

But I have a hard time recommending him. The ‘Blink’ test comes into play. I can see him picking up where Woodson left off on the pass interference penalties. He’s probably going to be nailed for a couple of 15 yard penalties for roughness and such.

At LSU, he was surrounded by top tier talent. Sometimes that can hide a players hiccups and warts. The holes in their games expand when they make the jump to the next level. I question his coverage skills coming out of college and think it might be a year or so before he gets ‘coached up’.

I would love to see the Packers draft the guy – I love hitters. But there are question marks in his game.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 00:14

You guys were throwing out names of Offensive linemen a few weeks ago - but I can't find the thread.

I see a lot of RT's in this years crop, but not a lot of LT's.

The guards look pretty good this year.

EARL WATFORD looks like a good ZBS prospect as a very late round draft pick.

GARRETT GILKEY of Chadron state had a good Senior bowl week. I'm thinking he's going to need a lot of coaching in pass protection, but if a team is willing to be patient for a year, he could be a player. Probably a 6th round pick.

Brian Winters of Kent State had a good Senior bowl for a small school prospect. If he's around in the fourth round, I'd take him. But I don't see him lasting until the bottom of the fourth round.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 02:06

"I see a lot of RT's in this years crop, but not a lot of LT's. "

I love Terron Armstead as an LT for GB in the 2nd. He was very impressive at the Senior Bowl, totally neutralizing Margus Hunt. Great athlete, good kid, smart, hard worker. He probably won't start his first year but has great upside.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 08:21

Armstead was probably the standout athelete among O linemen during the combine, small college guy so that works in his favor with Theodore, be perfectly fine with him added to the mix. We certainly cannot stand pat at o-line.

Re: toughness, thats somethign that needs to be improved whether it be at safety ILB or on the outside, this team just did not play with enough of a nasty streak on the D side of the ball. Seemed like a lot of thinkign ant nod enough reacting was going on which will inhibit intensity. If it is Reid, Ogletree, Brown or someone else, the defense needs to add some nasty to it.

Watford is maybe a 7th or a UFA though I do not know much about him in all disclosure. I figure to see us come out of the draft with at least 2 guys for the O-line.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 09:10

Armstead is a guy I need to read up on. Last month, I read a write-up on the guy and thought ‘wow, the second coming of Allen Barbre’. Pass

That’s obviously not a fair comparison. Barbre had a very low Wonderlic and was kinda of a naïve kid from the Ozark mountains.

Armstead has a 3.09 GPA at Pine Bluff – apparently it’s important to him to maintain at least a ‘B’ average in school.

Based on the numbers he put up at the combine, he’s going to go higher then we think. As of today, I’d compare him to Ezra Johnson instead of Allen Barbre. You might have to sit the guy a year, but he looks like a player.

http://www.uapblionsroar.com/news/2012/7/24/GEN_0724123540.aspx

Last edited by Jack Vainisi on April 5th 2013, 09:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 09:14

Why So Serious? wrote:
Armstead was probably the standout athelete among O linemen during the combine, small college guy so that works in his favor with Theodore, be perfectly fine with him added to the mix. We certainly cannot stand pat at o-line.

Re: toughness, thats somethign that needs to be improved whether it be at safety ILB or on the outside, this team just did not play with enough of a nasty streak on the D side of the ball. Seemed like a lot of thinkign ant nod enough reacting was going on which will inhibit intensity. If it is Reid, Ogletree, Brown or someone else, the defense needs to add some nasty to it.

Watford is maybe a 7th or a UFA though I do not know much about him in all disclosure. I figure to see us come out of the draft with at least 2 guys for the O-line.

Watford is probably a UFA. Another guy I'd pick up as a UFA is QB SEAN RENFREE out of Duke. He's got a tremendous work ethic and an accurate passer coming out of college. Like Matt Flynn, he lacks a strong arm.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 09:35

Lutzz, I took another look at Mike Neal coming out of Purdue and I still don’t see him as a second round pick from a mentally and his purdue performance. A lot of nagging injuries and comments about him taking plays off.

His combine numbers certainly justify the selection.

Any time you start reading workout magazines, they emphasis SLEEP. As in, eight hours a night if you can get it. Definitely more then six. Neal had (has) it into his head that he can get by on four hours a night max.

That’s great if you want to be a navy seal, but definitely not what a professional athlete needs if he’s training hard. The muscles need time to recoup and sleep and diet are what do it. It may sound lazy, but I bet some of these players sleep 9 to 10 hours a day when there training heavy in the off-season. Professional weight lifters do that all the time.

Like Brain Brohm, Neal had mental baggage coming out of college. At this point, that’s irrevant if he can turn it around and have a productive career. But based on his production to date, it’s hard to justify that second round pick.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 09:45

If you’re starting at the bottom of the first round, I’d look at Guards, Tight ends, Safeties and inside linebackers first. Teams tend to devalue these positions, so you can find better value when you hit the clock.

If you draft an overlooked safety that has a career that includes a few pro-bowls, well, you just started off the draft in great shape on a safe pick.

If that plan of action doesn’t interest a GM, then it’s time to start targeting players you covet – something Thompson did last year in the second round.

Show no fear in trading up if you think the available player potential exceeds his draft position and more importantly – what you have to pay in picks in order to obtain a higher pick.

Thompson overpaid for the right to draft Clay III in 2009, but Clays play on the field has more then compensated for the draft day overpayment.

The Packers should be drafting towards the bottom of the first for the next 4-5 years. In order to be successful, Thompson needs to think creative (potential risky) thoughts on draft day.

Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 10:26

The thing with Theodore and his approach is value. He is all about the value of the player at the time in the draft. Sometimes thsat works for you (Cobb), sometimes it works against you, the aforementioned Barbre.

What the team gave up to get Clay is a general exception to the normal approach Theodore has. Worked out pretty well imo.

As Hannibal Lecter once said so eloquently, "You covet what you see".

Personally I LOVE it when you get Agressive Ted, he has rarely traded up for someone that didn't work out. I am sure he has, but I cannot of the top think of anyone.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 5th 2013, 11:19

I think of Barbre as a great risk prospect as a fourth round pick. The guy had athletic ability and proved to be a very good run blocker. Obviously he failed as a starter.

I'd like to cite the trade back in 2006 that netted Cooledge as a mistake. But neither of the O'linemen that were picked before him in the second round had tremendous careers. In fact, Cooledge has had a career on par with both of them.

That was considered to be a deep draft and moving backwords to aquire extra picks (espeically if you got your player of choice later in the round) was a shrew move.

Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 12:36

lutzz wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:
Jack Vainisi wrote:

You are probably right about Woods, though I thought the same with Cobb and he made it to us in the 2nd. I mentioned 2 guys I liked at the Senior Bowl, Patton, who reminds my of Greg Jennings but with a thicker build and Harper who reminds me of James Jones. I like Patton in the 2nd and Harper in the 3rd but I think TT might be looking for a receiver who can return kicks now that they want Cobb as a full time receiver.

I think I would prefer if TT waits until the 4th to pick an offensive skill position guy. I would like to see defense and maybe OL first.

It looks like I'm going to have to scratch Patton from my list. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/nfl-draft-prospect-patton-has-gift-of-gab-grab-g39egel-201718781.html
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 12:45

Hmmm, yeah he doesn't fit the Packers mold does he?
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 12:54

Jack Vainisi wrote:
I think of Barbre as a great risk prospect as a fourth round pick. The guy had athletic ability and proved to be a very good run blocker. Obviously he failed as a starter.

I'd like to cite the trade back in 2006 that netted Cooledge as a mistake. But neither of the O'linemen that were picked before him in the second round had tremendous careers. In fact, Cooledge has had a career on par with both of them.

That was considered to be a deep draft and moving backwords to aquire extra picks (espeically if you got your player of choice later in the round) was a shrew move.

I agree about Barbre. From the 4th round on you need to gamble on greatness.

2006 was amazing. TT went in with one high second round pick and a disgruntled Javon Walker. He had been negotiating a trade with Oakland who had the next pick in the second but Oakland only wanted to give up a third.. It was a bad draft for WRs. Santonio Holmes had gone in the first and Chad Jackson was considered the only other stud WR. TT traded his second to NE for NE 2nd and 3rd so NE could take Jackson forcing Oakland to give up the 2nd for Walker. He then traded that second to Atlanta for a 2nd and a third. All in 20 minutes. Atlanta picked Jimmie Williams a well known head case who was out of football in a couple of years as was Jackson. TT got Jennings, Colledge, Spitz and Hodge. Injuries ruined the careers of Spitz and Hodge but Colledge has been a starter for 7 years and Jennings was one of the top 5 receivers in the league from 2008 to 2011.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 13:01

A perfect illustration of the genius of Ted Thompson. Well done lutzz.
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

Number of posts : 1892

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 14:51

Ha, figured that article on Patton might have an effect on lutzz.
Reid's my guy at S as well. Like Wilcox a lot, but as a 4th Rounder, not 2nd. Still like Swope and Alonso, too, as mid-rounder's.
My big problem is the 1st Rd. Would love Ogletree, but know TT won't draft him and odds are he's gone at 26 anyhow. Would also love a big DE, just can't settle on one that might be there, but wouldn't be a reach.
Think I'll call TT and let him know he has my permission to trade down.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 14:53

NO love for my guy Margus Hunt huh?
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 14:56

You know, I like him and think he may be worth the risk, Serious, IF he wasn't going to be 26 years old before his 1st Training Camp.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 14:58

I don't want him in the first either, but any time after that I'm good with. he may be going to be 26, but football wise he is a much younger man.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 22:59

My biggest problem with Ogletree is that I don't see him as 3/4 OLB. We already have 6 guys at ILB so I can't see a high pick there.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 23:17

Why So Serious? wrote:

I'm waiting to see the McGinn write-up on the guy.

But I keep reading he’s inconsistent as all get out. He’ll make a great play and then vanish for the next two or three series until he makes another great play. It’s not an inconsistent motor – he’s still learning how to become a football player at the college level.

You have to wonder how long he’ll have to be ‘coached up’ before he’s ready to hit the field. He’s going to turn 26 and I’m wondering if he’ll be 28 by the time he’s ready to be a starter.

I guess my question to you would be this – how long before he’s ready to go and do you think he’s the second coming of Jason Pierre-Paul? I loved Pierre-Paul as a prospect, especially after Bedard put that video of him doing the 14 backflips on JSO. Great athlete who’s turned into a very good football player.

I just don’t know.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 23:22

lutzz wrote:
My biggest problem with Ogletree is that I don't see him as 3/4 OLB. We already have 6 guys at ILB so I can't see a high pick there.

Any thoughts on John Simon of OSU? As in, how did he perform the week of the Senior bowl? I know he played in the game, just can't find a write-up on how he performed.

From what I've read, the guy goes all out every play and plays a physical brand of football. Supposed to be a good athlete and a high achiever on special teams.

From what I've read, he loves to play football, plays hard and has a high football IQ. He sounds like Brady Poppinga with more athletic ability.

Where would you say he's going in the draft?
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 23:31

lutzz wrote:

As an athlete, I’d say he’s a great pick. The guy should be the Packers best cover ILB within a year if they drafted him. Another guy who loves to play football.

But he’s built a lot like Brad Jones – tall and lanky, will need to add some weight.

The big red flag on him is he was suspended for a month in 2012 – smoking weed. Tough to see Thompson taking him after throwing the green at Brad Jones.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 6th 2013, 23:35

denvercheddarhead wrote:
Ha, figured that article on Patton might have an effect on lutzz.
Reid's my guy at S as well. Like Wilcox a lot, but as a 4th Rounder, not 2nd. Still like Swope and Alonso, too, as mid-rounder's.
My big problem is the 1st Rd. Would love Ogletree, but know TT won't draft him and odds are he's gone at 26 anyhow. Would also love a big DE, just can't settle on one that might be there, but wouldn't be a reach.
Think I'll call TT and let him know he has my permission to trade down.

I still like Jonathan Cyprien out of Florida International better. I'm thinking he's going to have a better overall career - especially in coverage. Reid is a hitter though and I love hitters.
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 8th 2013, 11:08

Pretty sure I also read where Ogletree was charged with DUI not long ago. Still think he'll be gone before 26 and TT wouldn't take him anyway even if he was. Yeah, the Pack are stockpiled at ILB, but all are just 'guys' IMO. Still pissed about the Brad Jones' re-signing. Bishop's very solid, but coming off a very bad injury for a football player. Really hoping Manning makes a big jump this year to make me forget the rest of them.

Cyprien sure is getting a lot of love, Jack. Just never saw him play. Watched a video highlight of him vs. Louisville; made some nice plays, but they also had a goal line play of him getting pancaked...kind of weird that was in there.

As far as Simon, guess I wouldn't mind a later pick being spent on him if he's still around. Same with Buchanan out of Illinois. Both sure played a lot of ball and could give OLB a shot.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 8th 2013, 13:28

Jack Vainisi wrote:
lutzz wrote:

Any thoughts on John Simon of OSU? As in, how did he perform the week of the Senior bowl? I know he played in the game, just can't find a write-up on how he performed.

From what I've read, the guy goes all out every play and plays a physical brand of football. Supposed to be a good athlete and a high achiever on special teams.

From what I've read, he loves to play football, plays hard and has a high football IQ. He sounds like Brady Poppinga with more athletic ability.

Where would you say he's going in the draft?

Simon really struggled at the Senior Bowl. He doesn't have the athleticism for LB and he's too small for a DE. Poppinga is about right. TT tried to wish a player out of a guy like that with Elmore. I doubt he tries again.

I have no idea where anyone is going in this draft. This is probably the hardest draft to handicap I can remember.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 8th 2013, 13:31

Cyprian showed well at the Senior Bowl but I don't think he is a first rounder. I am just hoping we can trade out of the first to one of the QB needy teams.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 8th 2013, 13:51

Why So Serious? wrote:

We discussed him a while back WSS and my opinion hasn't changed. I focused on the guy at the Senior Bowl, hoping he would be possible pick for GB. But he did nothing well. I mean nothing. He couldn't even beat the low round OL he went up against in pass rush drills. In the game he got washed out against the run and never got near the QB.

Ansah was also disappointing in the practices but he played well in the game as a wide9 end. That is where he would be successful in the pros IMO. I don't know where Hunt plays in the pros. Throw in the fact he's 26 and I don't know how you take him before the third. Someone will, not in high first, as some suggested after the combine but I could see him going anywhere from 31 on. As Charlie Cassidy says about controversial players: "Let somebody else be the hero."

But I will surprise you with the a player I would take a wild ass bet on in the third: Tyrann Mathieu
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 8th 2013, 16:19

lutzz wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

We discussed him a while back WSS and my opinion hasn't changed. I focused on the guy at the Senior Bowl, hoping he would be possible pick for GB. But he did nothing well. I mean nothing. He couldn't even beat the low round OL he went up against in pass rush drills. In the game he got washed out against the run and never got near the QB.

Ansah was also disappointing in the practices but he played well in the game as a wide9 end. That is where he would be successful in the pros IMO. I don't know where Hunt plays in the pros. Throw in the fact he's 26 and I don't know how you take him before the third. Someone will, not in high first, as some suggested after the combine but I could see him going anywhere from 31 on. As Charlie Cassidy says about controversial players: "Let somebody else be the hero."

But I will surprise you with the a player I would take a wild ass bet on in the third: Tyrann Mathieu

I don't think the Packers have taken a 5'9" cornerback since Buckley during the Wolf/Thompson eras of Packer football.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/tyrann-mathieu?id=2540180

But how can you like the Honey Badger as a third round pick and not like Montori Hughes as a fourth round pick?
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april EmptyApril 8th 2013, 16:23

lutzz wrote:
Cyprian showed well at the Senior Bowl but I don't think he is a first rounder. I am just hoping we can trade out of the first to one of the QB needy teams.

Right now I'm thinking he's worth around pick #36 to pick #40.

You look at this chart:

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Right now I'd devalue the 10 to 20th picks and increase the value of picks 35 to 70.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draft prospect - first week in april   Draft prospect - first week in april Empty

Back to top Go down

Draft prospect - first week in april
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next