wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

The Combine and the Packers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

The Combine and the Packers Empty
PostSubject: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyFebruary 26th 2013, 14:01

How many of you have been watching? You knw I have, over and over again.

Some of my early favorites?

Well you know about Margus Hunt, well his performance probably removed any chance the Packers had ad him being there at the 26th pick. Dammit.

Fell in love with vance McDonald, a TE from Rice who's hands were the best of the TE group in my opinion. he is more of a pas catcher than a blocker, but he seems at least a willing blocker which is more than you can say for Finley most of the time.

Love, absolutely LOVE Robert Woods at WR from USC. The guy shows up in every drill and is the perfect mold for GB WR's and just under 6'1" and 205, strong, runs great routes, blocks with tenacity. A solid shot in the 2nd round though we might have to move up a little to get him. His lack of elite speed may keep him there though.

Just a tease for nowe though...
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

Number of posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 3rd 2013, 12:58

I think Hunt will be around at 26. He looks much better in shorts than pads.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 3rd 2013, 21:46

A lot of people think that lutzz, I just disagree with them in this case.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 3rd 2013, 22:24

Why So Serious? wrote:
A lot of people think that lutzz, I just disagree with them in this case.

I know. We shall see.

The biggest problem for me, in taking him in the first, is his age. Even his biggest supporters will concede that it will probably take a year or 2 for him to really translate his athletic ability to the football field which will make him 28.

I don't doubt that he can be molded into a good player but anyone who watched the Senior Bowl practices and games knows he is not anywhere near there. If GB got him in the 2nd I would think it a worthwhile gamble. Personally I would be more comfortable in the 3rd.

Anshah seems further along but I would also be wary of him before the late first. He won't make it out of the 1st though. I think it is 50/50 for Hunt.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 08:02

Ziggy isn't making it past 15 I shouldn't think.

This may seem like blasphemy when it comes to the Gods of football, but every single time I see Hunt I see the echoes of Ted Hendricks and for that kind of guy I;d be willing to take two years of development time.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 09:05

If he can develop it would be great but can the Packers afford to use a 1st rounder for a guy who won't be ready for a while if at all? I don't have a problem with him as a prospect, I have a problem with him as a first rounder. If I were to gamble in the first I might go for Jamie Collins over either Ansah or Hunt.

The other thing I worry about is steroids. This is Estonian track and field i.e. ex Soviet Union. They have always been way ahead of the NFL in the PE department..
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 09:32

I hadn't really considered the steroid factor at all, I really never do. Kind of hard to make that call one way or another without know this kids history which I do not to that kind of a level anyway.

As to your first point, yes I think they can. The team is deep and if they believe in his talent then as a draft and develop team then yes he si worth it at 26 imho. On th eother thand if they do not, the hell no, stay far, far away.

Obviously I am in the the take a shot category, tempering that with it all depends on who else is on the board. I never believe in focusing in on one guy, just haev you board ready and make sure he is on it.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 13:13

This might be a good year to trade back. There are a lot of players bunched together so it makes some sense to try to get 2 2nds and 2 3rds.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 13:19

I totally agree on that one lutzz. If you could get two two's and two 3's out of it you would be doing very well. This season reminds me of the year AJ Hawk came out in terms of the depth of good players combined with exceptional ones.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 13:21

Why So Serious? wrote:
I totally agree on that one lutzz. If you could get two two's and two 3's out of it you would be doing very well. This season reminds me of the year AJ Hawk came out in terms of the depth of good players combined with exceptional ones.

2006 was the best recent draft IMO. I think this one has similar depth but I don't see the impact players at the top.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 13:23

[quote="lutzz"]
Why So Serious? wrote:

I agree that 2006 was the best recent draft. I think this one has similar depth but I don't see the impact players at the top. Last year was good at the top but fell off really fast. It was a good year to trade up as TT did even if I didn't like his first 2 picks.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 13:32

Ugh/ 2006? Reggae Bush, Vince Youhg, Matt Lenhart, John Mccargo, Laurence Maroney, Santonio Holmes?

A collection of stiffs if you ask me and that's not even the half of it.

Not a good draft at all. Even the better guys in it haven't been half of what they are cracked up to be and that included D'brickashaw, Cutler, Bunkley, Wimbely and Manny Lawson to name a few.

2006 was a draft full of good players, but not at the top, the depth was in later rounds where guys like Brandon Marshall, Jahri Evans, Owen Daniels and Elvis Dumervil came in.

Hell you could almost throw out the entire thirdd round which was full of stiffs.

Heck you could argue the best pick in that entire drasft was Cortland Finnegan who went in the seventh.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers EmptyMarch 4th 2013, 16:55

You brought it up as a good draft and I agreed that it was the best in recent years. There were first round busts of course, as in any year but there were more Pro Bowl players than in any that followed IIRC.

Which draft since then do you think was better?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Combine and the Packers   The Combine and the Packers Empty

Back to top Go down

The Combine and the Packers
Page 1 of 1