wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Packers Mock Draft #1

Go down 
+3
Jack Vainisi
socalpackfan
lutzz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lutzz

lutzz

Number of posts : 875

Packers Mock Draft #1 Empty
PostSubject: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 13th 2012, 19:40

This is one draft I would be pleased with. I don't believe TT will use all the picks but I decided to fill them all in. Please make sure the tomatoes you throw are heirloom.

1. Chandler Jones DE/OLB Syracuse
2. Mychal Kendricks OLB/ILB Cal
3. Brandon Hardin S/CB Oregon State
4a. James Brown OL Troy
4b. Akiem Hicks DL Regina
4c Senio Kelemete OL Washington
5. Chris Owusu WR Stanford
6. Chandler Harnish Qb Northern Illinois
7a. Justin Bethel S. Presbyterian
7b. Jeff Demps WR/RS Florida
7c. Audie Cole OLB NC State
7d. Raymond Carter RB Colorado State

Back to top Go down
socalpackfan

socalpackfan

Number of posts : 538

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 13th 2012, 20:49

lutzz: I don't pretend to know 1/100th of what you know about the draft process in general and/or the upcoming draft in particular, but with our current WR's along with the up and coming WR's on our practice squad, why would we pick two more WR's?

couch

Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 14th 2012, 00:52

socalpackfan wrote:
lutzz: I don't pretend to know 1/100th of what you know about the draft process in general and/or the upcoming draft in particular, but with our current WR's along with the up and coming WR's on our practice squad, why would we pick two more WR's?

couch

These would be picks for the future. We may have trouble fitting Jennings under the cap and there was a reason both Gurley and Borel were undrafted. Owusu is a first round talent who will go much lower because of injury concerns. He may never be able to play much because of concussions. It is a boom or bust pick which makes sense to me in a bad draft where we have 12 picks. Demps says he is going to give up football to train for the Olympics so may not ever play. Again, given the number of picks we have why not put down a marker on a major talent.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

Number of posts : 1614

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 14th 2012, 23:20

lutzz wrote:
This is one draft I would be pleased with. I don't believe TT will use all the picks but I decided to fill them all in. Please make sure the tomatoes you throw are heirloom.

4a. James Brown OL Troy

You broke character this year with your picks this year – obviously willing to take risks due to the weak draft.

All three of your top choices have injury histories. Hicks has immense talent, but also maturity issues. The Wide receivers could both be studs, but may never play football.

I don’t like Harnish for the same reason I hated the Brohm pick. I don’t like small handed QB’s playing December football in GB. Granted, Bart Starr really broke that mold.

Both of the OL guys appear to be exceptional value for the ZBS IF they last as long as you feel they will.

Pretty creative draft. Obviously you decided to push the risk/reward factor to the max this year.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 15th 2012, 14:42

Jack Vainisi wrote:
lutzz wrote:

4a. James Brown OL Troy

You broke character this year with your picks this year – obviously willing to take risks due to the weak draft.

Definitely. This was just a first stab. It fell based on the pick of Jones in the 1st. What I didn't do was take character risks, except for Hicks, but I couldn't find another big guy with anywhere near the upside.

All three of your top choices have injury histories. Hicks has immense talent, but also maturity issues. The Wide receivers could both be studs, but may never play football.

I don't think any of the injuries for the top three are career threatening, but obviously a concern. The wide receivers were throw away picks. Lottery tickets.

I don’t like Harnish for the same reason I hated the Brohm pick. I don’t like small handed QB’s playing December football in GB. Granted, Bart Starr really broke that mold.

I feel the same way about the hands issue. But his are over 9" , my personal cut off line. I was going to go with Wilson, but I would have had to use one of the 4s. I think he goes in the 5th before our pick. I could have gone with Lindley but I don't like his pocket presence. Harnish has some Matt Flynn in him.

Both of the OL guys appear to be exceptional value for the ZBS IF they last as long as you feel they will.

Interior OL is where the depth is in this draft. The best I remember in a long time. Lots of guys in the 3rd 4th area, I have no idea if my picks will be there at the end of the 4th. At that point it's just throwing darts.

Pretty creative draft. Obviously you decided to push the risk/reward factor to the max this year.

I will do another , this time a safe draft starting with McClellin and Ben Jones. I'll see where it takes me.

Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

Number of posts : 1892

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 17th 2012, 14:00

My All-D (except for QB) Mock-
1) Worthy
2) McClellin (trade up giving up 3rd and 5th)
4) Jamell Fleming CB OK
4) Brandon Taylor S LSU
4) DaJohn Harris DE USC
6) B.J. Coleman QB UT-Chat
7) Brett Roy DT Jack University
7) Adrian Robinson OLB Temple
7) Sammy Brown OLB Houston
7) Dominique Hamilton DE Missouri
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 17th 2012, 14:36

denvercheddarhead wrote:
My All-D (except for QB) Mock-
1) Worthy
2) McClellin (trade up giving up 3rd and 5th)
4) Jamell Fleming CB OK
4) Brandon Taylor S LSU
4) DaJohn Harris DE USC
6) B.J. Coleman QB UT-Chat
7) Brett Roy DT Jack University
7) Adrian Robinson OLB Temple
7) Sammy Brown OLB Houston
7) Dominique Hamilton DE Missouri

Denver

I could live with that, though I would probably take Reyes over Worthy. Better character and effort and more of the body type for a 3/4 end. Worthy has more upside if his character checks out but I think Reyes is safer.

I've been looking at Carolina's pick in the second for a possible trade up. They don't have a 3rd and have many needs. To get there it would take our 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

I forgot to put Roy in my mock. I think we should put him in all our mocks with the designation Jack University.
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 17th 2012, 16:23

Yep, if Worthy busts I sure hope he does it for someone other than the Pack. Although the way things are going maybe he'd be around later in the 2nd than McClellin and that would be the better trade up?? Either way, I'm going to be sorely disappointed if the top 2 picks aren't D-Line and OLB. Although for some reason lately I've been kind of back on the Hightower bandwagon even though he fits neither position.

Your Hicks pick is very intriguing...I'm really curious how that kid is going to do in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 17th 2012, 19:41

Denver,
I like Hightower too, but it seems he is going to go earlier. I do think predictions will be difficult this year as it's a bad draft. As in 2007, it only takes one team to decide that Harrell is a worth the 17th pick or that Jones was a mid 3rd rounder. Jones was the first Packer pick in a long time that I knew nothing about. I expect TT to do that this year too, which is why I tried out my risky draft a few days ago. Hicks is that kinda guy.
Back to top Go down
ghostsoflambeau

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 18th 2012, 23:09

Hey all. New to this board. I'm a life long Packer fan and like the opportunity to talk football with fellow Cheeseheads. Barring any trades, I expect the Packers draft to be pretty even between offensive and defensive players with a slight edge to defense (maybe 6-5 or 7-4). I think with defense, quality is the key word not quantity. I'd expect at least 2 of the first 3 picks to be defense, with at least one being an OLB. We all know TT is a BAP drafter, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go with an OL or RB even in the first round if the draft falls in a way that he'd have to reach to get a DE or OLB.

Besides the obvious issues in the front seven getting pass rush and probably at safety, I would also like to see at least two offensive linemen being drafted. We know we'll need a center for the future and with injuries that occur on the OL, they need more depth as you have to protect the franchise (Mr. Rodgers). I also am not sure James Starks will ever be a top tier RB, so it would be interesting if a Doug Martin, David Wilson, or Lamar Miller were available to the Packers in the 2nd Round (I think Miller will be a really good NFL RB).

The draft is only a week away, it will be interesting to see who our Packers get to help us win another championship next season! Peace, Ghosts
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 18th 2012, 23:15

Welcome, ghosts. How did you find us?
Back to top Go down
ghostsoflambeau

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 18th 2012, 23:21

Google search. I think I was looking at "Packers Draft"...this was well down the list. Looks like a small, but I'm sure dedicated group you have here. :)
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 10:02

Well, I'll be damned...go to Page 9 of a Google search for 'Packers Draft' and you get here. We're World Wide!
Sort of....

I kind of consider Saine to be the Pack's RB draft choice. But, if LaMichael James is somehow still sitting there when the 4th Rd. comp picks roll around....
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 11:39

denvercheddarhead wrote:
Well, I'll be damned...go to Page 9 of a Google search for 'Packers Draft' and you get here. We're World Wide!
Sort of....

I kind of consider Saine to be the Pack's RB draft choice. But, if LaMichael James is somehow still sitting there when the 4th Rd. comp picks roll around....

Page 9 my ass...

goggle: 'The Top Ten Signs of an Old Captain Agent Orange sighting' and we're #1!!!!!!!!!!

GO ED!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 11:44

That's why I asked the question, Jack. I didn't buy the generic teenage fan language of the first post., not to mention the suspicious timing.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 11:46

Jack

Have you seen Dale Moss play? Sounds intriguing.

WR Dale Moss, #13
South Dakota State PFW grade: 5.23
Ht: 6-3 1/4 | Wt: 213 | Sp: 4.56 | Arm: 33 | Hand: 10 1/4
Notes: Uncle, Johnny Rodgers, was the 1972 Heisman Trophy winner as a Nebraska running back before being selected in the first round by the Chargers and opting to play in the CFL. Cousin, Bobby Newcome, played quarterback for the Cornhuskers (1997-2000). Moss prepped in South Dakota, where he was an all-state performer in basketball and football and placed in the long jump at the state track and field championships. Played basketball for four years (averaged 7.6 rebounds and 4.5 rebounds as a senior starter) before exhausting his eligibility on the football field — started 9-of-11 games in 2011, totaling 61 receptions for 949 yards (15.6-yard average) and six touchdowns.
Bottom line: Four-year hoopster who parlayed one season of football into an NFL opportunity. Raised eyebrows at his pro day, where he looked explosive (41½-inch vertical leap, broad jump of 10 feet 10 inches) and scorched a 6.35-second 3-cone drill, one of the quickest ever recorded. Has a basketball physique and needs to get stronger, but has intriguing length — has good height, long arms and large hands — and room to bulk up (could play closer to 230 pounds down the road). Is surprisingly aggressive attacking the ball and snatching throws with his hands, and shows body control and hand-eye coordination to win in the air. Draftable on size-speed ratio and developmental upside as a West Coast receiver and red-zone target.
NFL projection: Fifth- to sixth-round pick.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 18:52

Lutz:

Pretty long, but you get a pretty good feel for the kid off this radio interview:

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/03/south-dakota-state-wr-dale-moss-interview/

I’ve seen him play…Basketball in high school. He tore up Stevens’s high school some years back in Rapid City. Tremendous athlete and completely fearless with his body when it came to attacking the rim. Very fast running the basketball court. With the Ball he blew by a Stevens kid who had made himself a name in the 100 yard dash.

My Father thought he should have been playing Basketball out on the east coast with some top flight prep school coaching. I don’t know how polished he is as a football player, but the kid is wondrous athlete.

Right now, this kid is a Nobody. But for his first three years, Donald Driver was a nobody as well. I think a team is going to have to show patience and let him learn for a couple of years to give him a chance to grow. Considering how stacked the Packers are at WR, they can afford to have a guy who isn't ready for the field yet.

But I'm biased on this kid. He's supposed to be a really good person.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 18:59

Welcome to the Forum, Frozen Tundra.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1917

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 19:04

Jack Vainisi wrote:
denvercheddarhead wrote:
Sort of....

Page 9 my ass...

goggle: 'The Top Ten Signs of an Old Captain Agent Orange sighting' and we're #1!!!!!!!!!!

GO ED!!!!!!!

Glad to see my material makes "top shelf". Razz
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 19:06

lutzz wrote:
That's why I asked the question, Jack. I didn't buy the generic teenage fan language of the first post., not to mention the suspicious timing.

Be careful Lutz. At this point, OLD might have a numbers advantage on us. I'm not sure flooding a blog with multiple ID's; each with there own opinion is what James Madision had in mind when he wrote this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 19:07

Ed Hochuli #85 wrote:
Jack Vainisi wrote:
denvercheddarhead wrote:
Sort of....

Page 9 my ass...

GO ED!!!!!!!

Glad to see my material makes "top shelf". Razz

If I had to vote for 'Best post of the year' today, yours takes the vote hands down.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 19th 2012, 19:55

Jack Vainisi wrote:
Lutz:

Pretty long, but you get a pretty good feel for the kid off this radio interview:

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/03/south-dakota-state-wr-dale-moss-interview/

I’ve seen him play…Basketball in high school. He tore up Stevens’s high school some years back in Rapid City. Tremendous athlete and completely fearless with his body when it came to attacking the rim. Very fast running the basketball court. With the Ball he blew by a Stevens kid who had made himself a name in the 100 yard dash.

My Father thought he should have been playing Basketball out on the east coast with some top flight prep school coaching. I don’t know how polished he is as a football player, but the kid is wondrous athlete.

Right now, this kid is a Nobody. But for his first three years, Donald Driver was a nobody as well. I think a team is going to have to show patience and let him learn for a couple of years to give him a chance to grow. Considering how stacked the Packers are at WR, they can afford to have a guy who isn't ready for the field yet.

But I'm biased on this kid. He's supposed to be a really good person.

I'm going to put him as our 5th rounder in my next Packers mock.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 20th 2012, 12:06

Jack Vainisi wrote:
lutzz wrote:

Be careful Lutz. At this point, OLD might have a numbers advantage on us. I'm not sure flooding a blog with multiple ID's; each with there own opinion is what James Madision had in mind when he wrote this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

With the latest addition, I think we are outnumbered.
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 20th 2012, 13:45

Curious nugget from Bunting at NFP about Jack University's Brett Roy-
"Has played all over with his hand on the ground, but might be most effective as a 34 linebacker. He's powerful, uses his hands well to shed and could play either inside or outside linebacker spots in a 34 scheme."

He also has Roy going in the 3rd Rd. of his Mock to the Ravens. Not sure what I think of his prediction, though I gotta say I'm dubious since he also has Curry and Reyes lasting until the 3rd.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm more than ready for the real draft. Too many names floating around in my noggin and I just want to see them get officially picked at this point.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 25th 2012, 14:45

Didn't see this one earlier so here is mine in the proper thread:

Round Selection Player Pos School
1 27 Shea McLellin DE/LB Boise State
2 59 Zach Brown LB North Carolina
3 90 Markelle Martin S Oklahoma State
4 123 LaMichael James RB Oregon
4 132 Phillip Blake C Baylor
4 133 Bruce Irvin LB West Virginia
5 163 Cody Sensabaugh CB Clemson
6 193 Chris Rainey RB Florida
7 224 Josh Bellamy CB Louisville
7 235 Kellen Moore QB Boise State
7 241 Andrew Datko OT Florida State
7 243 Duke Ihenacho S San Jose State
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 EmptyApril 25th 2012, 14:48

Hell Yeah Denver!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Packers Mock Draft #1   Packers Mock Draft #1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Packers Mock Draft #1
Page 1 of 1