wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 Empty
PostSubject: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyApril 27th 2020, 11:07

The best I can give this draft is a D though an incomplete is probably the fairest one.

All the parallels between 2005 and 2020 be damned, this draft WILL come down to Love. Don't worry I will nitpick the rest in a moment, but LOVE is what this draft is going to be remembered for. He absolutely MUST continue the level of excellence that Packers have had at the position since 1992. That's 28 years of unmatched play at sports most vital position. If he can become at minimum a 10 year multiple pro bowl QB then this draft is a success, if not it is an absolute failure. Itchy Trigger Finger, and it cost us a 4th round pick that could have been used on a WR like Antonio Gandy-Goldon.

With their second pick they grabbed AJ Dillon who was my favorite RB at the combine not named Taylor. This kid can play and he is a fit to the system LaFleur wants to run. You will not be disappointed in what we now have in Dillon. It seems to be an indicator that they are preparing for Jones to leave and given the way the NFL treats RB's that will not surprise me. However, in 2020 who is the odd man out? Dexter? Jamaal? or do they keep all 4 since they will be playing without a true FB which leads up to the next selection....

Josiah DeGuera, this pick is the one that bothers me the most and it is not an indictment against the player who may turn out to be a good one, time will tell on that, but this is a clear indication of what I can itchy trigger syndrome, a player the GM and coach want to draft and they can't wait to pick the guy so badly they draft him and minimum in this case, two rounds early and likely 3. Now DeGuara could become the Packewrs answer to Kyle Jusczyk and I wil maintain that this pick was at minimum two rounds early. Had they waited they could have selected Malik Harrison to man MLB leaving that spot in the 5th (still a round too early) for Josiah DeGuara.

Kamal Martin may turn out to be a solid contributor at MLB, but he may not. He has strengths, particularly shooting the gap on run plays and the run defense needs help, but a reach pick and reflects the itchy trigger finger that permeates this draft.

Next come three linemen, G Jon Runyan, C Jake Hanson and T Simon Stepaniak, Indiana, no real issues with these picks though I stroingly doubt Stepaniak has much if a career if he even makes the team. It also seems to indicate a plan for the departure in free agency for Corey Linsley if Hanson can prove he belongs, I think he will.

Now comes the ultimate reach pick Safety Vernon Scott from TCU, look I am no expert at player evaluation though I am something of a knowledgeable amateur, but when a guy that is not on ANYONES radar as a potential draftee gets selected it smacks of a reach and Scott was nowhere to be seen. I mean no disrespect to the player at all, but I do not understand this type of drafting. You like the guy? Great, but the draft is about knowing the value a player has within the draft and this guy was not going to be drafted which indicates they did not want to go through the UDFA process with him so they picked him when there were other much more valuable players available. Itchy trigger finger.

I actually love the last pick, Jonathan Garvin. He is a guy that will likely be on the PS or maybe, if he flashed on Special Teams has a change to make the. He is a pass rush project though, he has good size and could either bulk up and be a DE or drop some weight and be an OLB in the base scheme. The knock on him was that his effort was inconsistent and it shows in his stats from Miami.

If you have read this far you know how I feel about this draft, however the immediate feelings are not as important as what the future holds. It is very clear that the intent of this draft was to move the offense in a direction more in keeping with what Matt LaFleur likes in players as well as grooming potential replacements for players who very well may depart in FA after 2020 and providing coverage for them. In that, Gutey and the Flower accomplished that task.

Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1917

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyApril 30th 2020, 14:42

Well done sir.  You covered most of my beefs I had with this draft.  Drafting Love as a QB will make or break the whole draft and Gutey's career as the Packer GM.  If Love steps in and becomes the Packer QB for the next decade as an upper tier QB in the NFL, Gutey will have a 2020 draft grade no lower than a B, regardless of the remaining 8 picks in the draft.  My gripe is another QB could have been groomed with a 3rd or 4th round pick, seeing that he would have most likely been holding the clipboard for 3 years until AR was getting closer to retirement.  Love will have a minimum of two years sitting on the Packer bench because the next two years would be a huge cap hit if they traded AR.  Assuming AR is healthy, it appears that Love will be on the bench for 3 years, then he must play in year 4 to determine if they want to pick up his fifth year option.  On top of this dilemma, we sacrificed a 4th round pick which could have addressed addition holes in the Packer lineup.  The Trade up in the first round would have made sense for a DT, ILB or last stud WR (IMMEDIATE STARTER) but it was of questionable use for teams who were already set at QB in slots 26, 27, 28, and 29.  I just don't understand trading up for the fifth rated QB in the 2020 draft who had a questionable season in the WAC and probably won't play for an additional 3 years...just a head scratcher.  I hope I am wrong but Gutey is letting everything ride on this draft pick.....it will be his make or break pick that defines his career.
I like the RB Dillon but he seems to be a pick that could have been acquired in the 3rd round.  I love the hammer aspect of Dillon for short yardage and in "Packer weather" late in the season but he is not a 3 down back, his receiving abilities were minimal.  Just hope he's not Lacy 2.0 and eats himself out of the league.  
The TE from Cincy is another reach.  This is a guy listed as being available in the 5th or 6th round who was only 6'2".  While I am on reaches, the ILB from Minnesota could have been had in a round later. Here are two guys who could have been round 6 picks while we could have addressed all of our gaping holes in Rounds One through Five.  I would have had no issue with Love being picked at 30, then filling in our problems at DT, ILB, and WR instead of after the fifth round?
When picks are in Rounds Six and Seven, I can't really hammer away on those.  It's like trying to find gold in a silver mine as Elton John once sung.  
My gripe is we gave away too much draft capital for what we got....or as they say, we took another reach that could have been obtained later in the draft.  Hopefully I will be eating crow when this draft is properly assessed in three years time.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyApril 30th 2020, 15:39

I may be wrong, but don't they have to declare the fifth year option after the 3rd season? I may not be entirely clear on that. If so, they could potentially be exercising it on a man who has not played much.

That 4th rounder is what really BURNS MY ASS in all of this.

Everything I saw from Dillon on the combine shows me that receiving is not an issue for him, I know they didn't ask him to do much of that at BC, but in my amateur scouts opinion he will not have any issues transitioning those skills at the NFL level though I do understand that concern.

Itchy trigger finger right Ed?

I was reading that Gutey stated after the guys they had identified at WR as immediate starters went off the board somewhere in the 2nd (he said they tried like hell to move up to get one), he didn't identify who they were, he felt that no one else was an upgrade and didn't feel they would be in this years environment where camp may or may not happen and if so likely will be a shortened version. I do not entirely disagree with that, but still believe he was wrong for not grabbing at least ONE somewhere.

In the end if Love carries the Favre-Rodgers torch that what this draft will be measured on. HE better.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyApril 30th 2020, 15:52

The fifth year option can be declared after the fourth season but my thought was they better see how he plays by the third/fourth season to exercise the option.  Waiting until year 4 would be Russian roulette.

Losing the 4th round is the one they could have packaged with their 5, 6 or 7th round picks to pick up a valuable player.  Good to hear about Dillon's catching abilities.  Need more than a one-dimensional back to keep the defense honest.

Agreed on the itchy trigger finger.  They seemed to draft like someone was over their shoulder and would pick in front of them.  They seemed to have outbid themselves on all their picks where they could have got them in later rounds.  Maybe his laptop was bugged! lol

His unnecessary (in my amateur GM status!) trade up costed him to get a later WR via trade up with draft capital.  

Hopefully we are in better spirits looking at this draft in three years!
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyApril 30th 2020, 16:27

Another astute assessment Ed. It was exactly like that, maybe they found a spy in their office and were afraid to lose out on future studs like Vernon Scott?
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyApril 30th 2020, 21:09

Why So Serious? wrote:
Another astute assessment Ed.  It was exactly like that, maybe they found a spy in their office and were afraid to lose out on future studs like Vernon Scott?

Razz Razz Razz

Way too early to give this draft a grade but the national media has us ranked very poorly.  As the Plumber points out, we are not the GM's so that is my hope that it's better than it appears.  

However, Woodson and I have the same assessment   ed
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 EmptyMay 1st 2020, 08:34

"Way too early to give this draft a grade but the national media has us ranked very poorly. As the Plumber points out, we are not the GM's so that is my hope that it's better than it appears.

However, Woodson and I have the same assessment"

That whole "we are not GM's" argument is such a dismissive statement. As though we are not allowed to have an opinion, and in our case an opinion that is based on research we actually do, articles we actually read, an din my case and I Believe yours, highlight film that we actually watch.

While the Plumber is certainly allowed to have and express his opinion when you come at me with that dismissive bullshit you have already lost me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020   Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020 Empty

Back to top Go down

Itchy Trigger Finger Draft 2020
Page 1 of 1