wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

What is Love?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

What is Love? Empty
PostSubject: What is Love?   What is Love? EmptyApril 24th 2020, 10:48

Nope, not a shitty song by Haddaway, your newest member of the Green Bay Packers.

Now after the dust has settled overnight has anyone's attitude towards this pick changes?

I was not surprised to see the Packers move up to make a pick, I was surprised that the pick turned out to be Jordan Love. What was the reasoning? Did they think someone was trying to move up to draft him? I have heard it said that the Colts were trying to make something happen to do just that. Only they know if that's true.

I have no problem with Love as a player or as a potential future replacement for HOF bound Aaron Rodgers, I do however, have an issue with moving draft capital for a player who they could and in all likelihood would have been available at 30 or even if they had traded out of the first and into the early 2nd. To my way of thinking this is a waste of precious draft capital. Though I see the advantage of drafting him in the 1st being you get that 5th year option that you don't in any other round. Gutey has a responsibility we, as fans do not and that is to maintain long term viability so I understand his thinking.

Let's look objectively at the player for a moment, is Jordan Love a potential long term answer at QB in a post-Rodgers era or rather can he be? Physically he has all of the tools and athleticism that the future of NFL QB play requires, he can make all of the throws in or out of the pocket, has elusiveness and play making ability when plays break down and does have a laser arm. What I see he lacks at the current time is good footwork which also does impact his accuracy at times. So there are a lot of plus's to the selection of Jordan Love.

Now the down side, this is a team that was absolutely manhandled by the NFC Champion 49'ers TWICE and what I saw was a team that absolutely was not in the same category as the Niners. That turns my stomach. There were several players available at 26 and would have been at 30, Queen (26), Josh Jones, Raekwon Davis, Ross Blacklock to name juts a few guys who would have had a much more immediate impact in areas of need. Hell Xavier McKinney, while not a player in an area of immediate need is arguably the best player available yet.

It remains to be seen how Aaron Rodgers reacts to the pick, but knowing him he will say all the right things to the media while privately using it as another form of motivation. He has been on the other side of this kind of situation 15 years ago, now as the elder statesman he has a responsibility to the team to be the leader he has been and not be the petulant child Favre was back then.

Go Packers!
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1917

What is Love? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Love?   What is Love? EmptyApril 24th 2020, 19:50

You and I are on the same wavelength regarding Love. They MUST hit on both picks today. Defensively, ILB and DT are gaping holes, while offensively WR and OL are huge needs. I think the 2nd round pick will be a WR unless there is an unusual run in front of them and the 3rd round pick will be a DT or ILB...I'm guessing DT since GB treats ILB like a red-haired stepchild.

My biggest gripe outside of not filling a key hole was giving up draft capital. Love could have been acquired in a trade down rather than a trade up to accumulate picks rather than give them away. All is forgiven if Love is the third QB of the golden era.
Back to top Go down

What is Love?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
wisconsin-sports :: Green Bay Packers :: Packers/NFL Draft Talk-
Jump to: