wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1917

Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? Empty
PostSubject: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 22nd 2013, 09:30

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-still-too-soft-to-be-favorites-td9klcm-203946331.html

With the NFC getting beefed up again with teams like the 49ers, Seabags, and Giants are the Packers too soft to be the conference favorites? I think most of us have agreed that the Pack needs more nastiness and physicality in their play to be the elite team. Even though I would like to see bigger offensive linemen (road graders) and a bigger defensive line (taller, larger, and nastier) what will TT do if a Lacy or high ranking BPA is there for the plucking? Most likely BPA. I also doubt he goes OT after investing #1 picks in a few OT's over the last several years.

If this draft is deep in linemen, I wouldn't mind seeing a trade down and finding bodies in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. My wish list is: 1) DT/DE 2) DT/DE 3) C/G 4) S 5) NASTY LB 6) WR ........Fire Away! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

Number of posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 22nd 2013, 10:47

I'm with you Ed. Trade down and take 2 DL within the first 3 picks.

Last edited by lutzz on April 22nd 2013, 15:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

Number of posts : 1892

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 22nd 2013, 15:13

I am all for 'beef' on D as well...just can't come up with the guys I hope to see picked. And that was before I read today that 5 Pack D-Linemen will be in the last year of their contract this season (not that most would be missed Twisted Evil ).
Hope it's not out of desperation, but I am really coming around to Hunt being a possibility, age and all. Just hope it doesn't have to be at #26, though. Still would love a trade down since I see no way the Pack moves up for Floyd, Richardson, or the kid from Utah.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 22nd 2013, 15:19

"I am all for 'beef' on D as well...just can't come up with the guys I hope to see picked."

Sylvester Williams, Donte Jones
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 22nd 2013, 15:27

I'll defer to you, lutzz, as I remember you pegging Chandler Jones last year when I really didn't think much of him. Think either would still be around in the 2nd if the Pack could move down a bit?
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 22nd 2013, 15:49

I suspect at least one will be available in the early second but I find this draft hard to predict.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 23rd 2013, 21:27

It is going to be interesting to see what moving Theodore does, particularly in the first three rounds where there is so little difference between player and many teams will likely want to be drafting for need more than a usual draft.

There are a lot of guys to like on the DL/WR, less so at some of the other positions.

I'm as excited as I have ever been due to the incredible unpredictability of this years draft.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 25th 2013, 16:00

lutzz wrote:
"I am all for 'beef' on D as well...just can't come up with the guys I hope to see picked."

Bob McGinn's mock draft (1st round only) has Sylvester Williams coming to Green Bay. His rationale is that the Packer offensive and defensive lines are too soft to be Super Bowl caliber and will most likely use the pick to draft beef on the line. He further stated that he expects TT to draft solid players who don't have medical histories.

If Williams falls into our laps, I would be very satisfied. The odds definitely will increase when the first GM panicks and leads the "Gold Rush" mentality for QB's! Razz
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

Number of posts : 1614

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 25th 2013, 17:51

That article stunned me when I read it. Apparrently Both Raji and Pickett showed up overweight and out of shape.

Considering he’s playing for a new (large) contract this season, how Raji could let himself go in the offseason is really immature. For the Packers to have a superbowl shot this year, he’s a guy who needs to have a repeat of his 2010 play.

I thought Lutzz was really overstating his point when he stated the Packers should go 1 and 2 for DL’men in the draft…after that article he suddenly looks like a prophet.

Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Ed Hochuli #85

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 25th 2013, 20:44

Jack Vainisi wrote:
That article stunned me when I read it. Apparrently Both Raji and Pickett showed up overweight and out of shape.

Considering he’s playing for a new (large) contract this season, how Raji could let himself go in the offseason is really immature. For the Packers to have a superbowl shot this year, he’s a guy who needs to have a repeat of his 2010 play.

I thought Lutzz was really overstating his point when he stated the Packers should go 1 and 2 for DL’men in the draft…after that article he suddenly looks like a prophet.

Good point Jack. TT can't be happy with what he's seeing, so this could be a Day 1-2 draft for defense with a few offensive positions on Day 3....who knows. Jolly wasn't doing himself any favors either for a guy who wants to make a comeback.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 08:55

Ed Hochuli #85 wrote:
lutzz wrote:

Bob McGinn's mock draft (1st round only) has Sylvester Williams coming to Green Bay. His rationale is that the Packer offensive and defensive lines are too soft to be Super Bowl caliber and will most likely use the pick to draft beef on the line. He further stated that he expects TT to draft solid players who don't have medical histories.

If Williams falls into our laps, I would be very satisfied. The odds definitely will increase when the first GM panicks and leads the "Gold Rush" mentality for QB's! Razz

Way to go lutzz, spot on with Datone Jones. With Sly Williams there I was more surprised they still went with Jones, but you had that oen absolutely nailed. Well done Sir.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 09:07

Have to agree with WSS, you nailed that one Lutzz. Initially, like Randall Cobb, I thought it was a stupid selection based on weight. But the more I read on the guy, the more I liked him.

As of today, he’s only 284 pounds. (IMO) this pick is only part of the puzzle for the packers D line this season. Thompson needs to add some bulk today in order to boster the run defense.

Any thoughts on any run stuffers Thompson might add to the roster tonight? At this point, I wouldn’t rule out a trade up if a player falls beyond his value point.
Back to top Go down
Jack Vainisi

Jack Vainisi

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 09:12

We need to add some quality posters for next years draft debate. Guys who are really into the draft and can keep up with WSS and Lutzz.

Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 10:25

Kudos, lutzz, you were on Jones from the start. You really need to be getting paid by a team to scout. And when you do, hire me as your assistant!
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 13:29

Thanks guys. One thing I learned after studying the draft for 40+ years was that players who do well i n the Senior Bowl generally do well in the pros. Or, more accurately, bust less often. Even showing up means something IMO so I ding big name guys who don't play there unless there is an injury excuse.

The 2 best defensive players at the 2009 senior bowl were Raji and Matthews. If Matthews didn't do that he would not have been a first rounder. Jones is similar. Everyone talks about how the SB made Fischer the first pick. He shut down everyone he went up against except Jones.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 13:41

Jack Vainisi wrote:
Have to agree with WSS, you nailed that one Lutzz. Initially, like Randall Cobb, I thought it was a stupid selection based on weight. But the more I read on the guy, the more I liked him.

As of today, he’s only 284 pounds. (IMO) this pick is only part of the puzzle for the packers D line this season. Thompson needs to add some bulk today in order to boster the run defense.

Any thoughts on any run stuffers Thompson might add to the roster tonight? At this point, I wouldn’t rule out a trade up if a player falls beyond his value point.

Seems like 4 guys will go in the second or at least before the Packer's third round pick. Jenkins, Hankins, J Williams and B Williams. I prefer Brandon Williams. He played well at the Senior Bowl. He has a thick, not fat body like Jenkins and Hankins and is a hard worker. I had Jesse Williams in my first round wish list for a while because I thought he was really good in all the Alabama games I saw, but I can't get over his body type. Almost all of his weight is above the waist. He has skinny legs and a small butt so I wonder if he will be able to get power against NFL caliber lineman.

You need to remember that most of the time these guys play against guys who won't even get invited to an NFL camp. Another reason the Senior Bowl is so telling. Jesse Williams didn't play in the Senior Bowl, not sure if it was an injury or not. He was originally on the invite list and I was looking forward to watching him.
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

denvercheddarhead

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 14:08

I remember reading Vic at Packers.com mentioning that J. Williams didn't play in the Senior Bowl 'because he didn't need to'. Of course, Vic also said that Jenkins wouldn't make it past the middle of the 1st Rd. as he was the most dominant DT during the week.
Wish I had ever seen B. Williams play. He sounds like a very good prospect.

Anyone see Mayock last nite on NFL Network? Good thing he and Eisen were on opposite sides of the desk because one more mention of Te'o would have put him over the edge. Cracked me up.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? EmptyApril 26th 2013, 15:23

"Anyone see Mayock last nite on NFL Network? Good thing he and Eisen were on opposite sides of the desk because one more mention of Te'o would have put him over the edge. Cracked me up."

During the Tebow draft I thought Mayock might even walk out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?   Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will Pack use early picks to beef up the line?
Page 1 of 1