wisconsin-sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

NFL Players Thinking About Retirement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
socalpackfan

socalpackfan

Number of posts : 538

NFL Players Thinking About Retirement Empty
PostSubject: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 10th 2012, 19:47

Here's a great article from ESPN about NFL players who are nearing the end of their careers. A bit long, but well-written.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread-retire/nfl-players-weigh-pros-cons-retirement

couch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 11th 2012, 10:06

Interesting socal. It certainly brings to mind the Donald Driver situation. I recently read where he said he'd take a pay cut to stay with the Packers ( link supplied upon request). The decision regarding DD should be based on the development of the younger WRs on the team and not really the money. Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well for Driver's future as a Packer.
Back to top Go down
TedTheSledge
Admin
TedTheSledge

Number of posts : 312

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 11th 2012, 10:15

Packers owe Driver a 2.2 million roster bonus in March and I can't see them paying that. I think he had hoped to end his career on a high note in 2011 which didn't pan out obviously but I don't see him in their plans for 2012. With Jennings contract expiring after 2012 they will have to infuse more cash into the WR position one year after extending Jordy and re-signing Jones. After those three you have Cobb on the second year of his rookie deal and their top 4 would be taken care of for a few years.

Waiting in the wings are Borel and Gurley who both were given raises to remain on the Packers practice squad instead of joining other teams active rosters, and Smithson coming off IR for 2012. At least one of these has a very good shot at making the 53 next year.

There just doesn't appear to be roster room or motivation for them to retain Donald. Great Packer but father time has caught up with him. He has stated he wants to play until 40 years old but I don't see it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 11th 2012, 16:34

Donald Driver might have a chance of staying with The Packers if he would be willing to take a pay cut. It should be an interesting off season.
Back to top Go down
lutzz

lutzz

Number of posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 11th 2012, 18:40

I don't see any way he could make the team next year, barring injury so I don't believe they will keep him around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 11th 2012, 20:37

I don't see him staying either. But I think he can still play. Not to the 2007, 2008 level, but better than a lot of #3 receivers in this league. So I expect to see him in somebodies camp this summer.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyFebruary 12th 2012, 09:07

Gotta agree that I do not see Double D back next year, maybe if he takes a dramatic ay cut that is unlikely to be accepted were it offered. I'm afraid we have seen the last of Driver here. The outside chance is how much they value the leadershi he brings to the reeiver group and team. Maybe then, bt again not without the paycut. In the current structure he would be the 5th WR and 5th WR's just don't get aid in today's NFL. Veteran minimum, whatever it is for a guy that has been in the league a million years is with maybe some incentives.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyApril 13th 2012, 16:08

I certainly hope Nick Collins will be cleared to play this season. The secondary just wasn't the same without him.
Back to top Go down
TheSportsDawg

TheSportsDawg

Number of posts : 5567

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement EmptyApril 25th 2012, 14:54

He wasn't WR.

Drive needs to be a Packer, period. For him and for the team. Period. Leaders like him do NOT come around all that often.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NFL Players Thinking About Retirement   NFL Players Thinking About Retirement Empty

Back to top Go down

NFL Players Thinking About Retirement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
wisconsin-sports :: Green Bay Packers :: Offseason and Free Agency Talk-
Jump to: