wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Share | 

Donald the Driver

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Why So Serious?

Number of posts : 5434

PostSubject: Donald the Driver   May 21st 2012, 9:31 am

The previous thread had quite a bit, well some anyway, discussion on Donald Driver so I thought I'd start a new one to see if anyone thikns there has been any change?

I saw his agent tweeted or something like that lasst week. It essentially seemed to be saying he would be a "Packer for Life" and that he woudl definitely be back in the green and gold next season. I am on the record as hoping that happens and how much of a shame it would be for the ultimate team guy to play in any other colors.

Personally at this point I put the odds at about dead even, 50-50 on his return and find it unlikely, as previouislymentioned by someone, that he returns without a pay cut which he seems amenable to or so it has been alluded to.

I certainly hope he is back, even if it is in a reduced role which I believe it has to be.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1803

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 21st 2012, 5:33 pm

It all boils down to how TT feels his value will be to the club. Even if a paycut is involved, if TT can find 6 capable wideouts, cheaper and younger, they will get the nod before Driver. I think if Driver was still a 1 or 2 wideout, he will be kept. Right now it's Jennings, Nelson, and Jones probably fighting it out with DD for the 3 wideout. I'd like to see him stay as well, but I think Father Time has caught up with him.

Well, what do you think, Valentine?
Sounds to me like you guys
are a couple of bookies. (Trading Places, 1983)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 21st 2012, 9:17 pm

I love DD. One of my favorite Packers ever, no doubt. But, Randall Cobb is primed to break out big time this year. I think he will clearly be our #3 receiver and even push Jordy for #2. Having Driver on the team simply holds back Cobb's career. It's time to move on.
Back to top Go down
Why So Serious?

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 22nd 2012, 9:19 am

Don't you guys think DD would be willing to take less of a role, maybe as the 4th or even *gasp* 5th WR? Sure at a lesser price tag, but filling that role as veteran leader/mentor for the young guys? I can't see why he wouldn't nor why the team wouldn't want him in such a role, again at a reduced rate?

I don't doubt he is on the outs due to age and salary, but I'd rather it not be so and feel he can still help the team in such a role.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 22nd 2012, 9:34 am

WSS, I guess it all depends on how high they are on Gurley, or one of the other young receivers. If we have an injury to any of our receivers, then I'd definitely prefer to have DD there more than an unproven WR. Maybe they'll keep 6 WRs and cut back at some other position.

Remember West from last year? He was everyones darling in pre-season. He ended up going to Jacksonville, got some playing time, and produced next to nothing. So I believe if they release DD, it's because they feel really good about one of the UFAs. And the fact that they gave both Gurley and Borel raises to remain on the PS, it seems like they really do.
Back to top Go down
Why So Serious?

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 22nd 2012, 9:45 am

All of that is very true HB, ut none of those guys can bring the leadership, experience, heart and work ethic that Double D can. Footballis, of course, a y oung mans game and I know Donald knows that too. I very rarely let me heart get in the way of forward progress, but this may be one time I am.
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

Number of posts : 1837

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 22nd 2012, 5:44 pm

I'm hoping they at least figure out a way to give DD a shot to compete for a roster spot in camp. His agent's comments kind of gave the impression that would be the case; hard to know for sure though. If he shows up next week and is shown the door that would be pretty disappointing after all he's done as far as I'm concerned.
Make Gurley, Borel, Moss, etc. earn his spot, and if they do, then I'm sure DD won't have any complaints.
Back to top Go down
Why So Serious?

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 22nd 2012, 7:44 pm

at the very least Denver ,the very least.
Back to top Go down
socalpackfan

Number of posts : 538

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   May 25th 2012, 7:54 pm

I HOPE I am wrong, but something down deep inside me tells me that we have seen the last of DD in a Packer uniform when the final roster is announced this season. We are very deep at WR and the guys we have on the practice squad may be the #2 WR's on other NFL teams.

Driver exemplifies class in all he has done as a member of the GBP. As I said, i HOPE I am wrong.

couch

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donald the Driver   

Back to top Go down

Donald the Driver
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1