wisconsin-sports

A forum for venting, chatting, discussing wisconsin sports and whatever else is on your mind

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Share | 

Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TedTheSledge
Admin

Number of posts : 312

PostSubject: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 22nd 2012, 9:34 pm

Will give him another shot at free agency in 2014 if an extension not reached before then. 2014 is the year that the new TV deal money is set to significantly raise the salary cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/22/packers-finley-work-out-two-year-contract/
Back to top Go down
Why So Serious?

Number of posts : 5434

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 22nd 2012, 11:04 pm

Nice. Good value, less than the chise tag would have cost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 8:45 am

I really like the signing. It gives Finley a chance to prove he is a top tight end and demonstrate he can stay healthy. It also gives the Packers a chance to see how Quarless comes back and how well Williams or some of the other young TEs develop.
Back to top Go down
Why So Serious?

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 10:09 am

As is mostly the case Theodore struck a good balance between managing the future and taking care of the present. I sure hope people appreciate what they have in our GM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 11:19 am

I was hoping they'd sign Finley to a long term contract but this is better than the alternative of applying the franchise tag. Finley had 11 dropped passes last season and I hope he improves in this area in 2012.
Back to top Go down
f'emBucky

Number of posts : 509

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 11:43 am

I am not sure we are NOT overpaying for Finley. Yes, I believe he is very talented, but take a look at his three biggest dings. Number one, he has been injured much of the time he has been with us. Yes that was two seasons ago mainly but did not the Harrell fiasco open our eyes a bit? That is huge, these guys take up salary cap even if they are not playing.

Number two, Agent hit it on the head, the dropped passes. They are going to happen, but look at where they occurred, end of the season, and a big chunk in the playoffs against the Giants.

Number three, last I checked, this was the Green Bay Packers, not the New England Patriots. The Pats have three receivers, Welker and the two tight ends. Yes Finley is a part of this team but how integral is he really? This team had 5 (five) TE's on the roster this season!!!!!!!! Does that say anything to anyone??????? How much faith would you have in your talents (or from the GM perspective, your player's talents) if they had four more backups behind you, all to do your job? Well, maybe $15 million reasons, yes, but only two years.

As I said, I think Finley is talented but I worry about overpaying for him. I would rather see more RB's and DB's than we have. But that is me. But still, congrats on the contract Mr. Finley, please prove me wrong.
Back to top Go down
TedTheSledge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 11:55 am

I wonder how desperately the Pack wanted to keep their franchise tag available to use elsewhere on the Finley deal. They split the difference with him between what he would get as a tagged TE (5.4 mil) and a tagged WR (9.5 mil) and avoided arbitration and a drawn out fight over which position he should be tagged at which was on the horizon. A 2 year deal gives him the chance to prove himself and another bite at free agency in 2014 if they don't extend him before then. A definite compromise between the two sides.

Right after I posted I saw this link from Andrew Brandt on Finley deal:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Combine-Confidential-6657.html

Last edited by TedTheSledge on February 23rd 2012, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

Number of posts : 1837

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 12:54 pm

Sure didn't see a 2 year deal coming in this case, but it works for me. I can probably handle a couple more years of #88 driving me bonkers or, if it comes to it, 2 years of saying, "Damn, I was wrong about that kid." Hopefully it's the latter.

As far as Franchising Flynn, I'm still against it. Let the kid go and take a comp pick. Seems way too risky to me to possibly be on the hook for a $14 million backup QB. However, if the Pack pulls it off I will happily be wrong again.
Back to top Go down
Why So Serious?

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 23rd 2012, 12:57 pm

Compromise is what it is all about these days when ti comes to players contracts.

My opinion n the sheer volume of TE's on the roster has to do with MM and his afinity for the position, frankly I think he gets a little aroused just thinking about TE's and how to use them in his offense and that is why we keep adding them in the draft.

Finley and the dropsies have to be of concern to all of us and the organization and they are not at all due to having poor hands it seems to all be about concentration and focus for him. Given his relative youth giving him the 2 year deal after which he will be what, 26? If he doesn't get it by then there won't be another contract with the Green and Gold and there shouldn't be.

Finley's talent is prodigous and his focus needs to match.
Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1803

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 24th 2012, 2:08 pm

I've been thinking about this Finley 2 year contract for $15 mil and it makes a lot of sense. A couple of you mentioned Finley's stone hands of dropping the ball and it would seem to me that Finley will be busting his ass the next two years so he can break the bank when he gets to go for the pot of FA gold. By then in two years, one or two of the other four TE's should develop and make Finley expendible....and let some other team pay the big bucks. If he turns into a premier player he will chase the cash. If he flops he will end up being a KMart blue light special.
Ted also mentioned the TV contracts coming due which will increase the cap in 2014. In that case he might be available for his prime years as long as his agent doesn't try to break the bank or else off he goes.

Part 2

Now that Finley has been re-signed and the tag no longer needed......will TT do the tag on Flynn and ship him for a pick? Things could get interesting. TT doesn't appear to be the gambling type when it means a tight cap problem, but would he do it for a 2nd rounder if he finds a partner?

Well, what do you think, Valentine?
Sounds to me like you guys
are a couple of bookies. (Trading Places, 1983)
Back to top Go down
denvercheddarhead

Number of posts : 1837

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 24th 2012, 2:32 pm

Ed, what I found interesting reading about it this morning is that apparently Flynn's agent can shop him around to other teams and possibly have a sign-and-trade deal in place before the Pack even has to Franchise him (by March 5th). It seems a little below board to me, but if that's the way it is then why in the hell would the Pack not tag him in that case? The risk of being stuck with a $14.4 million backup would no longer exist. Go get that high 2nd rounder TT!

Also, I see #88 is already talking about how Graham and Gronk will probably be re-upped before his contract runs out in '14 and how that will set him up very nicely for a huge payday at that point. Guess I can't blame him and appreciate he signed a pretty reasonable deal, but I sure hope the Pack gets their money's worth out of him before then.

Back to top Go down
Ed Hochuli #85

Number of posts : 1803

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 24th 2012, 3:39 pm

denvercheddarhead wrote:
Ed, what I found interesting reading about it this morning is that apparently Flynn's agent can shop him around to other teams and possibly have a sign-and-trade deal in place before the Pack even has to Franchise him (by March 5th). It seems a little below board to me, but if that's the way it is then why in the hell would the Pack not tag him in that case? The risk of being stuck with a $14.4 million backup would no longer exist. Go get that high 2nd rounder TT!

Also, I see #88 is already talking about how Graham and Gronk will probably be re-upped before his contract runs out in '14 and how that will set him up very nicely for a huge payday at that point. Guess I can't blame him and appreciate he signed a pretty reasonable deal, but I sure hope the Pack gets their money's worth out of him before then.

Denver,

You can never blame a player for going after a big payday considering how short a player's career is in the NFL. A 2 year contract works for me and doesn't tie up any big money long-term.

Time to get Flynn's agent moving then if that's the case. I was under the assumption that he had to be signed first, then dealt. A second works for me, in that 3 draft choices in the top 60 can cure some problems. Any word on Wells or is he still holding out for top buck?

Well, what do you think, Valentine?
Sounds to me like you guys
are a couple of bookies. (Trading Places, 1983)
Back to top Go down
TedTheSledge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   February 24th 2012, 5:13 pm

I didn't think Flynn's agent could shop him around to just any team. I know if the Pack first talks to a team and there is interest in working out a trade they can give their permission for his agent to start negotiating his deal at that point. That would be a must in a tag and trade scenario as the acquiring team would not want to trade for him at 1 year 14 million. As far as what the rules state Flynn can only negotiate with the Pack until March 13, the start of free agency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal   

Back to top Go down

Jermicheal Finley signs 2 year 15 million dollar deal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1